USB Type-C and Thunderbolt 3
|Revision||Year released||Super set of||Top speed||Port type|
|Thunderbolt||2011||Mini DisplayPort||10Gbps||Mini DisplayPort|
|Thunderbolt 2||2013||Thunderbolt||20Gbps||Mini DisplayPort|
|Thunderbolt 3||2015||Thunderbolt 2 (adapter required,) DisplayPort, PCIe 3rd Gen, USB 3.1||40Gbps (Short or active cable) 20Gbps (long, passive cable)||USB-C|
Here's how Thunderbolt 3 is different from its predecessors:
- The Mini DisplayPort connection type has been ditched in favor of a USB-C connection type.
- All Thunderbolt 3 cables will work as USB-C cables.
- All USB-C cables will work as Thunderbolt 3 cables as long as they are good quality cables.
- Thunderbolt 3 has a top data transfer speed of 40Gbps as long as the cable is 0.5m (1.6 ft.) or shorter.
- For 1m (3.2 ft.) or longer cables, Thunderbolt 3 supports passive (cheaper) ones that have a top speed of 20Gbps, and active cables (more expensive) that retain the 40Gbps speed.
- Thunderbolt 3 is backward-compatible with earlier versions of Thunderbolt, but due to the new port type, adapters are required to use legacy Thunderbolt devices.
- Any USB-C device (like a ) plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 port will function normally.
- Since Thunderbolt 3 devices use discrete Thunderbolt chips to function, they will not function if plugged into a USB-C port.
|Top speed||Max power output||Power direction||Cable configuration||Availability|
|USB 1.1||12Mbps||N/A||N/A||Type-A to Type-B||1998|
|USB 2.0||480Mbps||5V, 1.8A||Host to peripheral||Type-A to Type-B||2000|
|USB 3.0 / USB 3.1 gen 1||5Gbps||5V, 1.8A||Host to peripheral||Type-A to Type-B||2008|
|USB 3.1 / USB 3.1 gen 2||10Gbps||20V, 5A||Bi-directional / Host to peripheral (compatible)||Type-C both ends, reversible plug orientation / Type-A to Type-C (compatible)||2013|
|USB||Alias||Logo (packaging)||Logo (on-product)|
|USB 3.1 Gen1||SuperSpeed USB|
|USB 3.1 Gen1 with USB Power Delivery (USB PD)||N/A||N/A|
|USB 3.1 Gen2SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps|
|USB 3.1 Gen2 with USB Power Delivery (USB PD)||N/A||N/A|
|USB 3.1 Gen 2 with DisplayPort over Type-C||N/A||N/A|
|USB 3.1 Gen 2 with DisplayPort over Type-C with USB PD||N/A||N/A|